04 March 2010

Annie Griffiths Belt

Annie Griffiths Belt came to my college to speak about her life as a traveling photographer working for National Geographic. She presented a slideshow of her work and gave us a story behind each photograph. She talked about her work with ease and a sense of humor, and I thought she was charming and hilarious. The understanding and love she expressed for all the cultures she has come into contact with was touching. As someone who loves traveling, I have to say I am quite jealous.


This is Annie Griffiths Belt talking with a woman from the Himba tribe of Namibia. I think this photo really gives a sense of the honest interaction between her and the tribe woman, communicating even though they do not speak a word of the same language. She told us that she gave three women a polaroid that she took of them. Not only had they never seen a photograph or camera before, but they had never seen their own faces because there are no reflective surfaces in this desert. As soon as she gave them the polaroid, they began to recognize each other in the image. The women starting laughing, pointing to the photo and pointing at each other.

Pakistan

Zambia

Jordan

I think photojournalism is a unique field today because the photos are never retouched. Belt spoke about how it is a shame now that when we see a beautiful photograph, we often assume it was "photoshopped." I am so fascinated by these photos not only because the beautiful cultures and people in them, but because they are so honest. 

I recommend looking through her website. My favorite photo is the last one in the "travel" section of her website of the Italian woman in the cemetery in the Veneto region. Belt found her dressed in black watering the flowers on the graves of her friends with an old detergent bottle. Some of the graves were in drawers with photos of the deceased on the outside. She asked the woman in Italian if she could take her picture, and she said yes and assumed an angelic pose. Afterwards, the woman asked her if she could have a copy of the photo to be put on her own grave. 

Annie Griffiths Belt is so fortunate to be able to do this as a career. Hearing her tell all of her amazing stories has made me want to go to so many places I hadn't even considered before. I am so inspired! Eventually I will spend at least a year traveling from country to country with nothing but a backpack full of essentials, my sketchbook, a camera, and a journal. Come with me?

Cassandra

No comments:

Post a Comment